Thursday 11 April 2019

Idea development

Due to the fact that this is my quickest brief so simply, I just wanted to keep everything be simple. I planned to mainly target to Japanese residents, for example, displaying the posters in Tokyo city. The kanji(Chinese characters) of Heisei is "平成", while Reiwa is "令和". Therefore, I tried to use it as the starting point.




I tried some typeface to show the characters "平成" and "令和", however, I don't really like them because they look too common. Hence, I looked back to my COP research that what categories I can try to work with traditional Chinese characters, I decided to work with Classical Chinese characters/calligraphy because of the traditional beauty of the calligraphy, it makes the character looks more familiar and more legible. It fully shows the beauty of kanji so I think it will be really good to use on a celebration poster.


I came out with a wonderful Japanese typeface which is "nagayama_kai Regular", it looks similar to
calligraphy because of the brush strokes which is really representative of Japanese culture.


I just use a few colours on the poster (white, black and red) to keep the simple style. Simply, I just added the year to begin of Heisei and the end of the year of Heisei at the middle with the text"anime". While the red circle behind is representing Japan's flag, I made it more like a brush draw instead of perfectly rounded so that it makes a connection to the character"平成". I made the same version of the poster for welcoming Reiwa. Generally, the colour worked really well together, it created a strong contrast to show "平成" and "令和".

Due to the fact that I think this brief is quite similar to the "micro-genre of music" brief that I did in last year as I also did the Japanese anime music, hence, I think both briefs have similar point. I looked at the things that I did from last year and tried to mix them to work together.



I used the characters that I drew before and applied it into the posters so it makes more related to the theme. As I didn't want to make too different to the previous posters so I kept the same structure, however, I tried to work with the black background but it doesn't result good so I just changed to white which is a lot better.


No comments:

Post a Comment